Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Aaargh

Okay, so my son decides to upload a video of himself singing Mr Good Dick. He uploads it to my youtube account. Aaargh! Mind you that that youtube account is created only to have Christian videos on it. Mind you, folks are subscribed to my youtube account. I can only imagine.... Yes, I can only imagine... some innocent sweet Christian soul getting an email that a new video had been made by yours truly and clicking on to see the subscription and bingo being faced with Older son's paean of praise to his male member! I really wished he hadn't done that. So I told him to make the video private. He says he can't see it on his myspace page now. Ah, poor thing!

Then this morning I try to get the kid to be less of a carnal Christian. I give him a speech about black folks destroying ourselves by being too addicted to sex and violence. I tell him raunchiness, raunchy songs, raunchy books and street lit is not what God made our people for. I give him the old, "Would you go to heaven if you died today?" speech. I tell him that in India tons of hindus people go to bathe in the Ganges yearly (it's the holies of rivers and akin to the Christian idea of grace) to let it wash away their sins and to make sure their karmic debt doesn't bring them back to life again...and definitely not to bring them back to life as a bug or even as some untouchable. (Unlike some American, Indian Hindus don't look forward to reincarnation.) I tell him Moslems are afraid of hell and describe the Moslem idea of hell. I tell him how Chinese Buddhists buy hell money and little dolls to help them out in the underworld and to make their lives in hell better....and how they put their sins on little boats to put away their sins far from them. I tell him all the world's religions and folklores have feared hell. I tell them all the world's religions believe in some kind of really bad eternal place of punishment. What does the kid do? He gives me this "God will take care of me" speech.

I tell him that we American Christians do not take hell seriously and that he should be very careful not to try God's patience by being presumptuous. I say, "What are you gonna say when you face Jesus?" "Lord, I sang and wrote all those songs because I wanted to honor the black male's dick? I felt the need to heal our sexual souls and so I used the talent you gave me and thought only about sex because I was doing my part?"

The kid laughed. But he still didn't seem to be taking me seriously. I can only hope the Lord is talking to him. Because frankly, I don't want anything to happen to him in the state he is in now. He's a sweetie, but all those sexual escapades. Well...it is more than a Christian mom can take.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right now he will be defiant. How old is he? He is still technically a youngun, an adolescent so his hormones is speaking for him now. What you must do is just keep encouraging him in the Lord, like you are. Some parents are condescending and judgmental when they do this...but prayer works.

Also, "You May All Prophesy" just came to my door one minute ago. Yeah!
-Erica

Carole McDonnell said...

Ah, Erica! The kid is 21. Relatively speaking, he should be waaay over hormones by now. But this culture has just trained kids to make hormones the be-all and end-all.

YAY!!!!! I honestly think you'll like "you may all prophesy." I like books that are practical. Just practice it. Read it slowly and simply trust. Sooo glad you're reading it.

Look at me talking as if sex isn't so important. Right now am in my usual quandary about whether or not a Christian publishing company might be the best place for Inheritance. Would cramp my style as to what I am allowed to put in. Had the same stress when I was writing Wind Follower and seeking a publisher for it. Race issues are soooo way behind in Christian fiction. And a romance between a black woman and a white-Chinese guy. Well, Christian publishers and Christian booksellers have to consider their public...who might not be real thrilled with sex, or race in a novel.

Anyway...a bit flustered now. Might go toward a secular publisher because they are more likely to do dark horror stuff with Christian elements than a Christian pub is likely to do Christian stuff with elements of dark horror and sex. And I'll be freer and not have to deal with all those rules about non-married folks not being allowed to sit on beds together or the evils of dancing. At least without all those rules I'd be able to write the story ...the way I want it. So might just commit to avoiding Christian company for inheritance. Will see. Once again, gotta put the future of my books into God's hand. -

-C

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will be here with fingers crossed hoping for the publishing(which will happen). Wow--Inheritance is starting to sound really good. I love reading about black female leads wherever I can. Thats why I love Octavia e. Butler. Anyhow, you may have to go secular so that you will be more free. I have trouble with my short stories because they are "deep" and a bit sensual(A Christian may call me a harlot).

Okay, your son's twenty one(I know he be having the girl callers, eh?) It'll pass as he gets older and wiser. he has a good mum. :)

Blog Archive

Popular Posts