Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hopeless Romantic

The Lord has really been dealing with me about my hopeless romanticism. "Hopeless" being the operative word. (Then hubby and I talked about it...And to top it off, this morning I got up and turned on the TV and I'm clicking through the TV...and there is someone scheduled to be on intervention, the addiction show, and what words does he use? Hopeless Romantic. Our Lord, the God of perfect timing!)

Growing up a wussy little black kid I read a lot of sad poetry that promoted the futility of life. Okay, some of this poetry might have been affected. . . but many of these poets truly had crappy lives. And some of the Christian poets, such as Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, and Gerard Manley Hopkins seemed never to have won in their battle against despair, melancholy, bi-polarism, illness, idolatrous worship of the creature more than the Creator, etc. In short, they died unhealed, leaving me with a kind of idea of Jesus as the "pale Galilean" who was romantic simply because he lost.

This kind of thing is dangerous because it not only teaches one not to hope, it primes the soul to believe that in the long run the prayer will not be answered, all is impossible, and God will not win. The Lord has been telling me to work on this spiritual stronghold. The stronghold of romantic despair that I indoctrinated myself with when I was a kid.

Another indoctrination I have to work against is the "romantic" part of the "hopeless romantic" phrase. That's one of the reasons I dislike Christian fiction. There is that kind of sentimental attachment to romance. Oftentimes one reads a story and one feels as if the story is really a woman's masturbatory dream of what a perfect hero in her life would've been. It's a kind of noble Christian fantasy of the land, the perfect man, the sense of destiny.

I feel God is very understanding of all this but he doesn't want us to indulge in vain imaginations. One must remember the truest book, the truest mirror, the truest romance, the truest imagination is of spiritual things.

I'll be posting some of my favorite poets in the upcoming days. You'll see what I have to battle against.

I dreamed I arrived in Japan and was walking around and got lost in a forest. I decided it was best to turn back on the route i came which I did. I then saw a large crucifix on the path when I finally arrived. Later, in another dream I dreamed I had a Chinese old lady neighbor. She said, "Show me where the borders of my property is." I said, "Sometimes there's a border you can see. Like this cement border. Sometimes it's a little subtler to figure out."I think this has to do with an obsession that I've been encouraging lately. For some strange reason I've been noticing a few Asian men and I think God is saying to watch it. I think, anyway. Might be something
else. But God might be saying...watch the fascination so you don't trip up.

So I'm trying to remember the ancient landmarks, as Jeremiah said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much to comment on:)

Oh, I suppose I'll comment on Chrisitan fiction and Asian men. I would like to write a Christian Fiction, and make it speculative, but nothing too frilly and cheesy. I keep changing last six pages of my writing and try to make it more "real", because the dark ideas be flowing and I can't stop. I love to read the Amish stories, but I like Ted Dekker's stuff too. I heard of others as well who write pretty darn good books(including you) dealing with spirituality and science fiction/fantasy all at once.

Asian men: Are you implying you may trip and fall over a handsome Asian guy? Or perhaps, to just be careful of the fantasies?

Most sincerely,

-E.

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Erica:

Go to the dark places if they call out to you. I don't much like a lot of christian fiction because they don't go to the dark places. And sometimes we humans need the dark places in art...to explore them.

Re: Asian men. Am implying both and a third. First that fantasies can take one away from the real lover one has in one's life (we women writers already have the problem of comparing our beloveds to our characters. sometimes.) Second: sin is a seed that when it conceives brings forth death. One has to be so careful of planting seeds that are hard to root up. Third: I'm trying to train my imagination to see myself healed and my son healed and after God gave me a dream where I was listening to a sermon but someone was trying to seduce me while i listened to the sermon...distracting me...it occurred to me that there might be some kind of seducing spirit thing going on. We help to bring our answer to prayers by fighting mental fight and by making our minds and our words work together to create what we want. But if I'm wasting half my time creating an image that I really don't want in real life and not imagining, for instance, what my son would be doing if he was totally healed, I'm not using imagination properly.

I think the dream is God saying "imagination is good, but don't over do it." I've met many Christian women who don't realize that they are in fact falling into a kind of sentimental idolatry with their characters. Praise God I haven't ever fallen for my characters in a lustful way...although I was pretty tempted by Noam. But my besetting sin is that I do tend to fall into fantasies about Asian guys if I'm not too careful. I think God brought this up now because he wants my mind focused on pondering the healing probabilities of my son. It's kinda like... have you ever tried to pray for someone whose mind is on a football game? God wants us not to be double-minded...especiallyl when we're praying for something and trying to imagine a new world for ourselves. God said of Spiritual imagination: "Nothing can stop them from what thy have imagined in their hearts." Basically imagination and meditation are the same words and the same actions...but we must control them, not they us. -C

Blog Archive

Popular Posts