Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Weekend Movie Viewing: Reality TV shows and authority

I saw the latest episode of Confessions of a Teen Idol on VH1 and got really annoyed with Scott Baio's assessment that Eric went out into a world with an uncertain future because he couldn't deal with the requirements of fame. I thought, "Puhleze, Scott, stop the bullshit! The guy has integrity and maybe that's not his destiny to be famous!" It really annoyed me. He seemed so pretensious. I don't think I should watch this anymore.

Then saw COPs and as usual found myself more on the side of the criminals than on the side of the COPS. I just can't hate or mock or scorn these crack addicts or petty criminals. Life is hard and some cops have authority issues.

Actually, i think I spent much of the weekend really remembering my issues with authority. There was a marathon of a TV reality show called The Principal's office. So we meet kids and the principals and the troubles. Some of the principals were great, some annoyed the heck outta me. I truly believe that we should respect teachers. Cause I was a teaching assistant back in the day and I understand how rude kids can be. But honestly, after one has grown up one realizes that there are some very nutty folks out there who have become teachers. Folks with a desire to pick on others, folks with mental problems. And as I watched the show, all this anger came up against folks who had taken advantage of others through the use of their age, job, positions in life. And then the part of me who likes the under-dog, the broken hearted, etc.

I just got so annoyed. Hey, it'll help me understand and reconnect with Maharai and Psal. It's as if I'm finally realizing what I'm writing about. And the story is finally showing me what my own unhealed issues are.

Was it Ian Fleming who said if he hadn't invented James Bond he would've been a criminal? I think I wreite beause I'm a wimpy bitter revolutionary.

The prophets in the Bible care about the oppressed, the weak, the poor, the broken-hearted, those abused by power. I so wish Christianity had stayed with this instead of worshiping power and authority.

Luke 1:53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. Luke 1:52-54 (in Context) Luke 1

Ecclesiastes 4:1 So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter. Ecclesiastes 4:1-3 (in Context) Ecclesiastes 4 (Whole Chapter)

Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths. Isaiah 3:11-13 (in Context) Isaiah 3 (Whole Chapter)

Isaiah 14:2 And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the LORD for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors. Isaiah 14:1-3 (in Context) Isaiah 14 (Whole Chapter)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts