Monday, November 02, 2009

General Update

Well, working away on my YA Onion. I think I finally have the first draft done. Today will be working on the elephant in the room -- or the obvious but often unspoken thing in a romance novel: money. Okay, generally the main male character (sometimes the female MC) has mega-bucks. It's kinda mentioned but for the most part it's largely unexplored. We know the woman has not only won a prince of a guy emotionally and intellectually but that she also has a guy who can take care of her in a style she will be glad to grow accustomed to. But we don't see the guy losing his money or the woman pondering if she would marry Darcy or whoever if he suddenly got poor.

So, am working on female character's mercenariness. It's the elephant in the room -- the power of poverty...and Denise's sorrow about it. So it has to be done -- will see. Besides, in most of my stories there is this choice the woman has to make about power and money so it's par for my course. Anyway, will have to work on the chapter with the friends a bit more...to get a bit more conversation out about poverty etc. 



Read a christian black fiction book that could only be described as a story of typicality. Everything was typical. I suspect she was trying to use all the statistics she had read about parental child-molestation. It felt like a novel as illustration. I don't like giving bad reviews...and considering it's a christian novel there was a lot of edgy conversations so...


Gabe's home. He doesn't really like going to school, I think. Might take him out entirely because he's been to school only ten days so far this entire school year. And he's 19 and I wonder about what he actually can learn with the various challenges bothering him. But I'm also thinking that so many people's money and livelihood depends on him going to school. The bus driver, the monitor, the school district, his aide. It's hard to figure. Waiting to see if I get any guidance from God. Will see. 

Made some detox tea. 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 2 cups hot water, maple syrup to taste (might make it locally grown honey to help the allergy issues.) Not bad.


Thought about the Bible verse about Elijah
  1 Kings 17:9 Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.  


And Andrew Wommack was doing a sermon on this verse:


1 Kings 17:4 "It shall be that you will drink of the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to provide for you there."

What I like about this story is that the widow woman didn't know she had been commanded to feed the prophet. As far as she knew she was preparing to die. Yet the command was already in her soul and whether she knew it or not God had set up her soul to feed this prophet. The prophet had his job to do. As Andrew Wommack said in his sermon, God has provided a "there." And in the first instance with the ravens, Elijah had to go THERE. In the second instance, Elijah not only had to go "there" but he had to ask a woman who considered herself at the end of her rope to help him. In both instances the feeders did something not really typical of them. Maybe the lady was very kind-hearted and would've helped him anyway, but as a mom a part of me thinks that she would be loathed to even part a bit of food to the prophet that would've helped her son. Anyway, whatever the obstacle, God's command was done.

Hubby's lack of a job is an interesting time right now. Where is our "there"? Is it a job nearby? Is it far-off? Where should we go? So many obstacles, but so many possibilities? We just have to hear what God has commanded us to do.

This reminds me of a funny thing that happened. We were driving around with Gabe in the car just now. He likes being driven around and hey, we have zip to do while we wit for job applications so we zip around. I say to hubby, "I'd like to have a truck. Not a big F-150 one but a smaller one with maybe a crew cab. But yeah, we could have that truckbed to put stuff in." Then the thought occurred to me -- funny when God shows you the thoughts of your heart-- why did I want this truck? The first thought that occurred to me was: So we could be able to pick up junk folks had thrown away -- good junk, like tables, beds, etc.

I tell this to Luke and we had a real laugh about how limited our minds had become. I wanted a truck so I could pick up good tossed away stained junk. Most of the stuff in our house -- clothes, dishes, beds, are all hand-me-downs. That's what I was really thinking about -- that I was still in hand-me-down mode and couldn't really imagine myself getting enough money to actually buy stuff. -C Even in my day-dreaming of great things (okay winning a truck isn't so great but I was trying to dream), I was still thinking poor. Odd. Am glad God showed that to me.

The Lord is our healer and our shepherd and our guide. 
-C

3 comments:

J. M. Butler said...

Yes, definitely talk about the elephant in the room! By the way, I love the "style she will be glad to grow accustomed to." My dad always joked about how he wanted to become independently wealthy and live in a life style he would like to grow accustomed to.

What I like about Denise though is that even though she has a certain level of mercenariness, Denise is still a relatable and loveable character.

The story of the widow is a really good one. I liked it more as I considered it, and I think that she would have to be an interesting woman. It's interesting also considering what the obstacles were that might have blocked here. I always used to wonder how hard that would be to have a child and not enough food.

Your dream made me smile. I do think it's good to dream big, but I have to say that your dreams remind me of someone who can make the most of whatever situation. And that made me smile and encouraged me. I hope you get a truck, but I also hope that you get even more. Thanks so much for sharing. God bless you! Be dangerous.

lelia said...

I have a nephew who makes part of his living picking up discarded furniture and refinishing it and selling it.

I don't know why picking up discards is thinking poor. It is also thinking recycling. It is thinking creatively.

Scifiwritir said...

Hi Lelia:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound snarky. In our case, it would be picking up the discards to actually use them. Most of the stuff in our house -- clothes, dishes, beds, are all hand-me-downs. That's what I was really thinking about -- that I was still in hand-me-down mode and couldn't really imagine myself getting enough money to actually buy stuff. -Carole

Blog Archive

Popular Posts